Saturday, July 13, 2013

Nada Burger

Some years ago while in Norfolk, VA visiting family, my husband and I found a little Mediterranean restaurant on Colley Ave, called Azar's. They served what they called the Nada Burger. It was a falafel wrap with tahini sauce, tomatoes and pickle which was lightly heated on the flat top. I don't like most pickles, but I do like fresh cucumber, so that's what I put in my home version.

When we came home I decided it was something I could make. Here is my version:

Nada burger with a side of potato salad and steamed asparagus

I use a falafel mix, but if you want to make your own, I am certain there are many recipes online or in cookbooks. There is a good one in  Vegan with a Vengence. These wraps are not something that requires a lot of measuring. I start with a cup or so of each of the chopped ingredients.  If there is some left over, it becomes a little garnish or side salad. 

Nada Burger

1 cup Falafel mix mixed with 3/4 cup water (or your favorite version of felafel).
Olive oil
Tahini Sauce (see next post)
Chopped parsley (lots)
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped cucumber
Wraps

Mix up the falafel according to package directions. I use boiling water because it is faster than cold water.  Form the falafel into 6 small patties. Fry the patties over medium-low heat in enough olive oil to keep them from sticking. Cook until golden brown on each side and set aside.

Mix up the Tahini Sauce. Have all ingredients ready.



Lay out a wrap. Spread a spoonful of tahini sauce across the center of the wrap. 

Add a generous amount of parsley along the center, on top of the tahini.

Crumble one of the falafel patties over the parsley.

Add some tomatoes and cucumber

Today we had fresh basil, so I added some of that, too. 

Wrap up the ingredients. I use a burrito sized organic sprouted wheat wrap and secure it with toothpicks.  Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large pan and heat up the wrap, turning it so that it is golden brown on each side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment